Hosted by A Reading Nurse &
An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna. Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision. The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?
The Murder Complex #1 | GreenWillow Books | 6/10/14
Meadow Woodson has been trained to survive. This is a prequel to The Murder Complex, by Lindsay Cummings, and it is set in a blood-soaked world where the murder rate is higher than the birth rate. For fans of Moira Young's Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.
Meadow Woodson's father calls it The Fear Trials, and it is a rite of passage in their family. Meadow is up against her brother Koi. The Fear Trials will both harden her and make her brave. If Meadow wins, she will get a weapon of her own and the right to leave the Woodsons' houseboat without her father or mother at her side. Set in the violent, complex, and mysterious world of The Murder Complex, and introducing Meadow Woodson—a teenage girl trained to survive no matter what the cost—and her family, who are together for the last time on their houseboat in the Florida Everglades.
The Murder Complex #0.5 | HarperTeen Impulse | 6/3/14
1) Congratulations on being a debut author! I'm sure this experience has been very exciting for you. What would you say is the one thing that you never expected when it came to publishing your first novel?
Thank you so much! I’m stoked! Looking back, I think I never expected all the people that would be involved in getting the book ready to hit shelves. There are like….hundreds of people. There are so many behind-the-scenes people at HarperCollins working, for months, to get it to where it needs to be, from cover art, to marketing, to editing, to interior design. It’s nuts!
2) Not only are you a debut author but you have TWO new series releasing this year along with a novella. Sounds like you've been busy! What do you do when you're not writing or fulfilling other author obligations?
It sounds crazy when you put it that way! Honestly, most of the time, I’m either reading a book for review, reading a book for promotion, working on new ideas, laying out by the pool, hanging with my ridiculous amounts of animals, or plotting to trick my husband into letting me put more bookshelves into our one bedroom apartment.
3) The Murder Complex synopsis describes your protagonist, Meadow, as a 15 year old who has been trained to fight, kill, and survive in any situation. What else can you tell us about Meadow?
Meadow is fiercely loyal to her family. She adores her little sister Peri and wants the best for her. Meadow is dedicated to doing exactly what her father tells her to do, but she’s also curious about the world around her. She wants to break rules. She wants to learn how to find freedom in a world surrounded by walls.
4) Could you share with us some of the women (real or fictional) who have influenced or inspired you?
My mom is one of the strongest women I’ve ever known. She’s also a cancer survivor! She inspired me to always stay strong and never give up, even when the going gets incredibly tough.
5) The Fear Trials is releasing soon, The Murder Complex is right around the corner, and The Fires of Calderon will be available in the fall. What do you have planned next?
I’m just trying to keep myself sane. It’s a lot to take in! I have a secret YA Project I’m working on, and I’m getting pretty excited about that one. But I won’t jinx it by talking about it, because as soon as it becomes public, it loses its “shiny” side, and I lose interest. I want to finish it first!
Lindsay Cummings is the 20-year-old author of THE MURDER COMPLEX, as well as its sequel, coming 2014 from Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins, and the MG trilogy THE BALANCE KEEPERS, coming Fall 2014 from Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins. Lindsay deals with chronic fatigue, can’t get enough of her two pesky German Shepherds, wolf cub, and two horses. She's still waiting on her letter from Hogwarts--it was probably just lost in the mail. You can follow Lindsay on twitter @lindsaycwrites
Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- US Only
- Must be 13 or older to enter
- The Giveaway will run: June 2nd to June 8th
- All entries will be checked for accuracy; and false entries will be disqualified
- Winner will be notified via email and needs to answer in 48 hours letting us know if he/she accepts the prize and send us his/her full name and address.
- Your personal information won't be used or be seen unless you're the winner of the giveaway. We won't sell it nor use it in a bad way.
a Rafflecopter giveaway